Favorites

by Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks on August 29, 2013

Happy Thursday, y’all! It’s a holiday weekend here in the States and we’re already making the most of it! So, I’m moving Friday Favorites to Thursday and will close out this week with a few finds from around the web. Have a fabulous weekend and I’ll see you next week!

Right Start When Gavin was born, I wasn’t able to breastfeed. And despite weeks upon weeks of trying to pump, that didn’t work for me, either. I cannot begin to explain the kind of weight that was lifted from my shoulders on the day I decided to quit pumping. And yet, despite the fact I was physically unable to breastfeed, I felt an incredible amount of guilt that I was unable to do so. Sure, sure, it was largely self-inflicted, but mostly because the educated world around me preached “breast is best” to anyone and everyone who would listen (and even those who wouldn’t). While I have long since moved beyond feeling any sense of guilt over how my infant was fed (anyone seen Gavin lately? yeah, I thought so!), I know new mothers everyday grapple with the exact same pressures I felt. That’s why I was relieved to see one mama’s take on why she proudly opted out of breastfeeding.

The_New_York_Times_logo

While we’re on the subject of our children and their diets (heh), let’s talk about the growing epidemic of childhood obesity in America. The children of my friends and acquaintances generally don’t have a problem with obesity. Regardless of whether they stay at home with a stay-at-home-parent, have a nanny or go to daycare, these kids are all active and well-fed individuals. And, by well fed, I mean their parents go to farmers markets, buy organic, read labels and/or make strategic decisions about the food their kids eat. From my experiences, you have to swing to the other side of the socio-economic seesaw to see where childhood obesity is truly problematic. At this end, you have families living in what’s often termed “food deserts,” where healthy food stores do not set up shop; where fast food chains are everywhere; where parents’ incomes prevent them from buying fresh produce and quality meats; where preservative-laden foods, which are cheapest, qualify as meals, day in and day out. I came across what seems to be a really interesting article about executives at some of our country’s largest food companies who came together to discuss the growing epidemic of obesity in America. (Confession: I haven’t had time to read the entire article, but I plan to!)

gawker

This video was making the rounds on social media networks this week. If you haven’t seen it, watch it. Trust me, you need to see it. Especially if you’re reading this post on a phone. =)

{source}

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Lisa of Lisa's Yarns August 29, 2013

Ha, that video is very appropo as we have become such a mobile phone nation. It is always interesting to look around at restaurants and see couples where both are on their phones. I know that needs to happen occasionally, but as a rule of thumb, I never had my phone out when I was with Phil because I wanted him to have my full attention. I was not the best about that this weekend with Alli, mostly because I had so many phone calls/text/messages/etc to return after Friday, but I tried to put it away as much as possible so I could soak up my time with her. Another phenomenon that is interesting to me is when parents hand their (expensive) smart phones over to their children from an age as early at 2 years. Totally not judging because I am not a parent and I am sure the distraction that it provides is welcome. It’s just interesting!

lisacng August 29, 2013

Handing phone to toddler, guilty!! My son drops the phone less than I do ;). It’s a great distraction at restaurants when all else, like toys and food, have failed. What bothers me more is older kids who need devices to keep occupied. But I guess I’m already sending my kid down that road huh? Sigh

Ally August 29, 2013

It kills me that even containers of formula proclaim that breastfeeding is best. As if you need it rubbed in your face every time you make a bottle. It was just a few decade ago that women were told formula was best. I wish it could be as simple as giving your baby adequate nutrition is best. I’m breastfeeding and so thankful it’s relatively easy this time, but after my experience with my first child, I see that as a culture we are making an idol of breast milk. While I agree it’s the ideal feeding option, I don’t think it’s the liquid gold that it’s sometimes treated as. And oh the burden on the mother especially when her body is cooperating and she’s adjusting to being a parent–well I just thank God for formula!

lisacng August 29, 2013

Keep these posts coming because I love to read what you’re reading! Great post on breast feeding because its so exactly what I just went through! Hearing other moms that pumped for 6 months, a year, etc made me feel a tad guilty for giving up my pump after only a month. But like you and that author, I am more confident about my decision than guilty because I wanted more time with and helping my family, rather than time with my pump. Thanks for sharing! And that video is so spot-on! I don’t want to say anything when people are always on their phones because it seems like an accepted part of our culture now but personally, my heaviest phone use is when no one is aeound (like now).

Nora August 29, 2013

I’m about to get on my soapbox about the diet thing & kids. My step kidlets? They are on that opposite side of the socio-economic situation, despite our monthly contribution (which to me appears hefty, but when it’s not used for the kids… well… yeah). At any rate, fresh fruit, healthfully prepared meals at home, etc. are not things that they get when they aren’t with us. It drives me nuts, breaks my heart and I hate it. You can see the malnutrition and the impact it has on them and I’m such a fan of healthful foods, freshly prepared, fruits, veggies, etc. etc. Fortunately they are very active kids but I fear for the long term impacts the poor food options they are given will have. Anyway. End rant for the moment.

Going to watch the video soon! Happy long weekend, friend!

Kelly August 29, 2013

It’s interesting- I saw a different version of the phone one, but same message, maybe even the same girl. Anyway, I think it’s a good message. I really try not to be annoyingly on my phone, though I am a person who has been attached to my computer for years :)

Eric and I talk about the obesity thing a lot- as a PE teacher, this is something he thinks about often as far as getting kids to be more active. I think about it at work… even in my town where most kids have parents with enough money to provide good nutrition for them, the kids who are on free lunch are getting what I declare to be total crap from the cafeteria. Many of the parents who can afford lunch only let them have it once a week, which I think is a good compromise. It makes me nervous to think this is what they are eating for lunch and who knows what they are eating other times of the day.

I like the breastfeeding article as well. When I do have kids, I plan to attempt it. I don’t think I could ever just not even try it, knowing that it’s one small thing I can do to possibly help my child. That being said, I have MANY friends who have not been successful and I don’t plan (key word is plan, because I’m sure I will) to beat myself up if it does not work for me for one reason or another. I think mom-guilt is a very, very scary thing in the world… especially for me who tends to feel guilty often.

Mel Heth August 30, 2013

Oh man that video is too funny. I remember being kind of disappointed in myself at the last U2 concert because I kept filming stuff on my camera. It’s like you’re being present through a filter – not really experiencing your life. I”m going to go check out that childhood obesity article now. I’m glad food companies are finally making efforts on this front.

Hillary September 3, 2013

I’m a bit twisted up over the breastfeeding article. I’ve sat with my thoughts for a few days before commenting but I’m not sure I can untangle my thoughts enough to be coherent. I think that “breast is best” is a harmful statement. And I hate that women are made to feel “less than” if they are unable to breastfeed. Breast is … normal. Formula is artificial. Is it sometimes necessary? Yes. Absolutely. But it makes me uncomfortable that formula is somehow becoming the new normal. This isn’t meant to offend anyone or trod on anyone’s feelings or dismiss their experience. I know how inflammatory the whole breastfeeding vs formula debate is. I know that some women are physically unable to breastfeed. I also know that some women are psychologically unable to breastfeed and that is just as important to honour. Argh – like I said, I’m twisted up.

Sandra September 9, 2013

I had to give up on nursing with DD because the anatomy of my milk ducts (or my fatty milk) made them clog, multiple ones, on a daily basis. I was in so much pain that I struggled til 6 weeks and stopped. DD is a formula-fed healthy baby and now 10yo. I had the same problem with DS but I found a way to unclog them (think pins and popping) and nursed him til he was 2yo. So now the surprise: DD has always been at the top of the charts with no allergies. DS is in the bottom half of the charts with severe peanut and penicillin allergies. How does that explain breast is best? I dunno. I did it both ways and was fine with both. But I can totally relate to how you felt with Gavin in those beginning days.

Lauren September 16, 2013

That video is awesome. The manfriend and I need to get better at putting the phones down and just ignoring them when we’re out to dinner or trying to just hang out together.

Humor me by sharing your thoughts!

Previous post: